Mycotoxins are substances, called secondary metabolites, produced by moulds and fungi that are normally present in small quantities in the environment as a form of defence for the organism.
Often these toxins are called Biotoxins, which strictly includes bacterial and mould toxins.
If they are present in high amounts, as may occur in water damaged buildings, they become potentially harmful to human health.
Specimens from the environment (ie homes, work, schools etc) can be evaluated for the presence of mycotoxins by our associated laboratory.
The range of Mycotoxins that are currently being analysed and reported is extensive with over 500+ individual myctotoxins now identifiable.
Biotoxins are thought to travel from the growing mould/bacterial culture by attaching to very fine particultes which may evolve from the breakdown of the growth.
These particulates can be very small - nanoparticulate in fact. Being so small allows them to penetrate walls and other building elements so that hidden mould can be much more of a problem than meets the eye.
This category is empty! Please try another category or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.