Fast Facts About Mould
- Mould, mushrooms and yeast are all types of fungi.
- Fungi are found both indoors and outdoors, all around us.
- Mould can be different colours as well as furry, slimy or powdery. Some have musty, stale or earthy odours, many have no odour at all
- Mould needs water, oxygen and food to grow. It can grow almost anywhere there is water, high humidity or damp conditions.
- Some people are allergic to moulds and others may be immuno-compromised by it.. The most common symptoms of mould exposure are cough, congestion, runny nose or trouble breathing. Mould can also worsen asthma symptoms or other allergies.
- Bleach and other chemicals may kill mould but even the dead mould may be dangerous.
- Painting over mould will not kill or seal it up.
- Just because you can’t see mould, doesn’t mean that you don’t have it.
- The best way to prevent mould is to remove the water and moisture sources.
- Before you consider cleanup you should detect and repair the moisture source first. Otherwise mould will return.
Remember - if in doubt, consult a professional.